Sunday, November 23, 2008

Act 3



I heard such terrible news. The young Tybalt has died! Oh it's horrible, so horrible! I heard Romeo killed Tybalt. Juliet's love a murderer! I am angry at Romeo, but at the same time I must not be for he is Juliet's husband. Romeo is banished. It was a sad day in the house of Capulet. I had to deliver the unhappy news to Juliet. When I told her Tybalt was dead and Romeo banished she was very upset. Who could blame her? Her cousin dead and her newly husband banished. Poor Juliet she must be going through a tough time.
I went to Friar Laurence's cell to see if I could find Romeo. When I got there Friar told me Romeo was crying just like Juliet. I told Romeo to get up and to be a real man! It was pitiful the way he was acting. I know he was upset but he is a man and instead of crying he should have been making a plan to be with Juliet. Crying never solved anything. Then, Friar told Romeo to spend the night with Juliet and leave in the morning to Mantua. That Friar is smart. I hope it works.
The other day I overheard Paris talking with Capulet. I completely forgot about Paris! They were talking about Paris marring Juliet! This is not good. Juliet is already married and she can not go against the word of her father. Things took a turn for the worse. Then Lady Capulet told Juliet about the marriage with Paris. Juliet said she did not want to marry Paris. Well, when Capulet heard of that he was very angry. He was yelling and finally said if she did not marry Paris then she would live on the streets. After that she came to me for advice. I think for her safety she should marry Paris. Romeo is banished and Paris is not. I told her to marry Paris. I think it is for the best.
Nurse: O Tybalt, Tybalt, the best friend I had! O courteous Tybalt! honest gentleman!
Act3 Scene2 page 161 Lines: 61-62

The literary significance is that it reveals a character. The speaker is The Nurse and this quote was said when The Nurse tells Juliet of the death of Tybalt and the banishment of Romeo. It reveals that The Nurse is very close to Tybalt. We know this because in the quote The Nurse says "Tybalt, the best friend I had!" This implies that The Nurse was close with Tybalt. Not only was The Nurse close to Tybalt but, we also know that she thinks highly of Tybalt because in the quote she calls Tybalt courteous and an honest gentleman.

No comments: